This is an original edition of Make it Monday- a weekly feature of tutorials.
This is also a Kids Craft tutorial- something appropriate and fun to do with your little one.
- paper (I used glittered craft foam sheets for durability)
- pencils (get a v-day pack from the dollar store)
I found that it was pretty challenging for Mikah to cut these out, so I pre-cut them and had him weave the pencil into the holes. He’ll use these for a Valentines Day goody bag for his friends.
- Cut out sheets approximately business card sized (about 2″ x 3.5″) and fold in half.
- Snip away! You are cutting a “U” shape for the top of the heart, plus a forward slash for the bottom tip. The longer your ‘slash’ the pointier your arrow. Make your heart take up at least half the space on the paper.
- Next part, cutting out the arrow. Simply snip a slash parallel to your slash from the heart tip and trim away the excess as pictured. Easy peasy, and very little waste.
- Trim tiny little fringes about 1/8″ wide and halfway into your new arrow piece. make sure the fringes are on the outer edge, not the folded edge.
- Cut slits in your heart and arrow approximately 1/4″ wide and 1/2″ apart. Eyeball it. This will be your slits to slide your pencils into. Do a test run with a pencil to make sure it fits and adjust your snips as needed.
- Slide in your pencils! We did ours under-over-under to hide the top edge and eraser edges.
- While Mikah napped I cut out a bunch for him. He was thrilled to find this when he woke up and spent a good 15 minutes weaving the pencils in and coordinating which would be for who.
Done! I got Mikah some trinkets to include with his goody bag- he loves people and giving things so this was a perfect activity for him.
Last, please share the tutorial and have fun with it!